Friday, July 1, 2016

I GET MARRIED TO A SPACE PIRATE

Yup my second space pirate husband. 
I think this is a sign, guys.

Over spring break I went to the library to grab Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray as well as a book I planned to read for school. Well my luck would have it, the book I placed on hold didn't arrive until the night before I returned to University. But alas Lair of Dreams was there. Unfortunately, I was unable to finish the sucker before I left, I could predict this outcome but my one goal of the break was to finish a book for leisure. So on a whim I picked up StarFlight by Melissa Landers.

And it was the best decision I could have made that entire trip home.
Lets talk about it.

STILL NOT OVER THE SPACE PIRATES
StarFlight by Melissa Landers
(I stole this picture offline because It has been basically forever since I returned it to the library)


(I'm not going to lie to you guys, because we are friends, I started this post months and months ago and I don't even know where to start right now. So be prepared for probably a ton of gushing and sporadic remembering the plot and little things I appreciated. Okay cool thanks!)

Starflight by Melissa Landers was a uniquely crafted joy ride. We start off being introduced to Solara Brooks, a criminal who is wearing the shame of her crime on her knuckles.  The tattoos scare off any opportunities she had in place after graduating so her grand plan is to escape to the Outer Realm, where she can start a new life where she won't be judged for her past. So far her plan isn't going too hot. Currently stuck on her home planet her only way out is to pay with her service to someone flying out into space, but no one is willing to let her tag along.  That is until her arch nemesis of many years, Dorian Spaulding enters frame with his unpleasant girlfriend in tow.  The two enemies strike a deal and she is granted passage on his ship. From this point the story unfolds into a marvelous space adventure like nothing I've ever devoured in all my 20 years on this beautiful literate earth.

And I am beyond excited for the second one.
Fun fact: I believed this was a stand alone until approximately two months ago. (Did I mention already it has been quite some time since I've read this book.) (I am thoroughly ashamed. I know!!)

Still, without any spoilers, I'd just like to mention my reasoning for why I found this book so incredibly enjoyable. There were so many fantastic tropes! Obviously, everyone has different preferences and some might even hate the ones I found so lovely in this book, but a slow burning romance hooks me and reels me in like the #1 fisherman of this universe would if I were the most beautiful, gullible trout in the river.

So let that image marinate in your beautiful mind and then after being thoroughly disturbed actually realize what I was trying to get across and then head to your local library, or book shop, or online bookstore, or even go straight to Melissa herself and give this puppy a go.

Then we can screech about the sequel coming out in February 2017 together!



OKAY NO SPOILER SECTION THIS TIME BABIES
Honestly I went into this totally blind. I had heard the name, but knew nothing of the synopsis and I loved every second. So from the small bit of information I gave you, you should be intrigued enough to dive into it as well and then come back to me to discuss spoilery stuff haha :)



SEE YA LATER DUDES 
<3 YOUR BAHAMA MAMMA



2 comments:

  1. SAAAAME. OMG I RELATE TO THIS SO MUCH! I picked up this book kind of just on a whim?! I felt sort of meh about Alienated so I didn't really have high hopes and I just snabbled it from the library randomly and AHHHH IT WAS SO AMAZING OMGGGG. I loved all the characters and the wit and banter = <3333 And I thought it was a standalone too. XD I was whining in my review about that and AHHH THERE WILL BE MORE BOOKS OMG I'M SO EXCITED.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW did I only JUST see that you commented on here?? Thank you! I love your blog! And I love your goodreads reviews haha. I have been very absent from my blog. I am not very good at keeping up with it and every year I tell myself I'll do better, but do I?? Nope. BUT FEBRUARY IS NEXT MONTH AND WE GET STARFALL!! I AM REALLY PUMPED!!!

      Delete